Wirral- Liverpool 11 Plus Exam Format
Background to the 11 Plus Exam in Wirral- Liverpool
There are seven Grammar Schools in Wirral- Liverpool that children will need to take an 11 Plus Exam to get into.
Wirral- Liverpool 11 Plus Exam Format Details
This advice applies to Calday Grange, West Kirby, Wirral Grammar School for Boys and Wirral Grammar School for Girls.
All these schools use the same exam.
The exam is written by CEM. CEM 11 Plus Exams have two papers of 45 minutes each with a mixture of the following topics in each.
- Numerical Reasoning (Maths calculation and problem solving)
- Verbal Reasoning (English Comprehension and vocabulary tests)
- Non-Verbal Reasoning
St. Anselm’s College 11 Plus Format
There are three written papers and a mental maths paper.
- English- Comprehension- standard answer questions, not multiple choice and a 20 minute essay task.
- Maths- Standard format, lots of worded questions.
- Mental Maths- Expect lots of questions which will really stretch times tables knowledge and ability to apply it.
- Verbal Reasoning- We believe this is a GL type paper.
Sample papers for maths can be found by clicking though to St. Anselm’s past 11 plus papers and scrolling down. Past St. Anselm’s 11 plus English papers can be found by clicking and scrolling down.
Preparation materials can be found here:
- English 11 Plus Preparation
- Maths 11 Plus Preparation (Scroll to the bottom of the page)
- Verbal-Reasoning 11 Plus Preparation
Upton Hall School 11 Plus Format
This school uses 2 verbal reasoning papers produced by GL.
Those preparing for these tests should use the GL preparation resources and in addition ensure they have taken the time to develop a very wide vocabulary.
Liverpool Grammar Schools
The Blue Coat School has 3 tests as part of their 11 plus admissions process.
- Non-Verbal Reasoning
We suggest using GL preparation for these tests, so use these resources to prepare for the 11 Plus Maths Test, these to prepare for the 11 Plus English Test and these to prepare for the 11 Plus Non-Verbal Reasoning Test.
Preparation for the 11 Plus Exam in Wirral- Liverpool
Firstly it is important to understand what preparation options you have and what might be the most suitable route to go down. Go forward to our 11 Plus preparation options page to understand what the options are and to start thinking about which one might be best for you.
If your child is in the latter stages of year four or in year five then we offer different advice designed to help families who are closer to the exam date.
If your child is part way through year five or quite close to the exam then we have tried to show how you can use the time you might have available most effectively.